We’ve said it before, one of two things usually happen when someone attempts DIY bed bug extermination: either they poison themselves and their family, or they start a fire intentionally or not. Using flammable chemicals to fight bed bugs is our Number 2 in our Top 10 Bad Ways to Get Rid of Bed Bugs. Smoking while using flammable chemicals adds stupid to this already bad idea.
From the News (I am Not Making This Up!)
An Ohio man in found bed bugs on a pull out couch. He sprayed them with an alcohol-based bug spray that claimed to kill them on contact. Later, when his wife entered the dark room and lit a lighter, whoosh! The couch caught on fire. The family of six made it out safely, but the house was destroyed.
A Kentucky woman accidentally set fire to her apartment while trying to get rid of bed bugs in her home. Firefighters in Carlisle, Kentucky say a woman doused her couch in alcohol in an attempt to kill bed bugs. Then, she accidentally dropped a cigarette onto the couch, which started a fire at her apartment complex last night. Everyone who lived at the complex was able to make it out okay but about 30 people lost their homes. Four people were treated for smoke inhalation.
In Cincinnati, Ohio, one adult and seven children were displaced after an apartment caught fire while a resident was treating a couch for bed bugs. An open flame came into contact with the couch and sparked the fire.
–UPDATE– July 11, Medical Daily reported:
A New York City building collapse left 12 injured, including four firefighters. Insect pesticide canisters, also known as ‘bug bombs,’ were found inside the Chinatown apartment that exploded. A fire followed the explosion, and eventually the five-story building partially collapsed….
‘Bug bombs’ are a form of pesticide used to fumigate an area infested with cockroaches, fleas, or other insects. The Environmental Protection Agency warns that although they are ineffective at killing bed bugs, they can be damaging to a person’s health. When used, all people and pets must be cleared, and if used in an apartment building, all tenants must be notified, even if they aren’t close to fumigation area.
The eight civilians and four firefighters were brought to New York-Presbyterian Hospital, where they were treated for smoke inhalation and burns.